Wednesday, January 30, 2013

New Cocktails: The Truth (Anything But)

This little drink was something I put together while trying to finish off my bottle of Cruzan Single Barrel rum. While definitely a dessert-y drink, I wanted to make sure that it had enough structure to avoid becoming cloying.

The Truth (Anything But)
2 oz Cruzan Single Barrel rum
0.25 oz chocolate spiced rum
2 tsp cherry Heering
0.5 tsp cinnamon syrup
2 dashes Fee's Whiskey Barrel bitters

The nose is rich, with lots of wood, spices, coffee, and chocolate. The sip begins with light cherry sweetness, which moves into baking spices, then bitterness, then chili pepper and chocolate going into the finish.

6 comments:

  1. I just whipped up some cinnamon syrup this weekend, so I'm going try this one out tonight.

    For full disclosure, the Cruzan will need to be replaced with Cockspur 12 and the chocolate spiced rum with... what, spiced rum and a dash of cacao... or perhaps swap a dash of the Whiskey Barrel with a dash of chocolate bitters? Your call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cockspur and Cruzan are similar enough that I doubt the difference would be notable in a complicated cocktail. Chocolate bitters, a tiny dash of chili pepper, and spiced rum would probably be a good approximation.

      Delete
    2. I meant to tell you that I really enjoyed this drink. Between the bitters and the pepper, the whole thing managed to stay very dry, and the rum really paired well with everything. I imagine the Cruzan in it has the same effect. Well done!

      Delete
    3. Thanks! Glad to hear you liked it.

      Delete
  2. This looks really lovely (and fitting as a cocktail for Valentine's Day too, judging by the ingredients).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And I suppose it would be good for that. Easy enough to use one less dash for bitters for those who want a sweeter drink.

      Delete